Sunday, March 7, 2010

Pop-pop-pop-Popcorn!

This is simply the best popcorn ever! Since we discovered this recipe a few days ago, we've made it at least once a day. So good!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21wog59Pxu0

The key is to cook your popcorn kernels in coconut oil. I do it in my Whirley Pop. On my gas stovetop, it only takes about 2 minutes. The video says to use 3 tablespoons. I just use a regular spoon and scoop a bit in. Then I add in my 1/3 cup of popcorn kernels and pop away!

I throw the seasoning into my Blendtec to get it well blended.

The video calls for:
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons Indian black salt

I didn't have Indian black salt, so I subbed pink Himalayan salt instead. I also used dehydrated onions instead of onion powder but because I blended it, it made onion powder. The recipe made enough for DH and I to have two big batches (on different nights), and for DS to have a small bowl as a snack one day, too.

Yesterday, we were running low on nutri yeast but I was really craving some popcorn, so I improvised a new recipe. It went something like this:

(all ingredients "to taste")
nutri yeast (whatever we had left; probably about 1/8 cup)
pink Himalayan salt
dried parsley
dried oregano
garlic powder
onion powder (I used dehydrated onions)
peppercorns
paprika

If you don't like things spicy, definitely go easy on the paprika!

No comments:

Post a Comment