Sunday, March 7, 2010

Persimmon and Coconut Cream Parfait

I saw a recipe for a raw persimmon and whipped cream parfait the other day, and search though I might, I cannot find the link for it. If anyone knows where it is, please let me know and I'd be happy to give credit where credit is due.

The beautiful photos of the parfaits reminded me that I had several freezer bags full of pureed raw persimmons from my uncle. I first had persimmon last year when my son was still eating baby food. My uncle had given them to us and so I read about them online and decided to puree them for him. Well, DS loved them, but I found out that so did I! So this past fall, I mentioned to my uncle that we'd love to have more of his persimmons. Finding this recipe for a RAW parfait got my persimmon tastebuds churning!

I defrosted my frozen persimmons by placing them in a bowl of water. It didn't take long before I was able to dump them out of the freezer bags. I put them into the Blendtec for a quick spin to ensure no icy chunks were left. We wanted SMOOTH puree.

Then I searched swagbucks for a raw whipped cream recipe and found one that I modified to fit my needs and on hand ingredients.

Coconut Whipped Cream
*1 cup nuts (the recipe called for cashews; I only had walnuts, so that's what I used, though I'm sure cashews soaked for at least an hour would have made it much creamier)
*1 cup light coconut milk (canned from Trader Joe's)
*1/8-1/4 cup of honey
*1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
*splash of vanilla
*pinch of himalayan pink salt
*coconut oil (a good bit)

My cream turned out flat and runny, but tasted divine! For a thicker cream, you could try adding some thickeners: chia seeds, flax seed meal, etc. Or, it might also help to refrigerate or freeze the cream before serving.

To serve, simply put the pureed persimmon and the coconut cream in alternating layers in a pretty glass or serving bowl. You could also create a topping of ground goji berries or nuts to sprinkle on if you wanted, but we just ate ours plain. Yum, yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment