Sunday, March 7, 2010

My New Favorite Dessert

Mexican Chocolate Shakes...completely RAW and ultra-delicious! You won't believe there's no dairy in this because it is SO creamy!

I put these into my 3 quart Blendtec (the best blender in the whole world!) jar:

3 frozen bananas
a hefty pinch of cinnamon
a scoop of raw cacao powder (Navitas Naturals brand purchased from Amazon)
handful of organic, raw walnuts (from bulk bins at Whole Foods)
a big scoop of homemade almond butter (probably 2-3 tablespoons)
water (probably around 2+ cups)

I also added these mix-ins for extra nutrition and thickness:
chia seeds
flax seed meal (freshly ground is best)

Just a note in case you couldn't tell...I am a bit of an "un-chef" in the kitchen. I don't usually measure things. I just throw things in and taste, taste, taste, so be sure you do the same to get it to your liking!

I blended everything up on the "Whole Juice" setting on the Blendtec. I usually run it twice just to get it as fine as possible.

This made two servings. DH and I drank it in tall clear glasses (3/4 full) with our new Glass Dharma straws which are my favorite thing ever! Seriously...every drink in our house now has to have one of these straws. They are just so pretty and they're fun! Not to mention, they are very sturdy and they're NOT made of plastic! Yay!

Ok, but back to the shake. The cinnamon is what makes this so special to me. I first fell in love with cinnamon mixed with chocolate at Locopops in Durham. So, I figured why not in shakes, too! I love it. Now if you like things really sweet, you may need to add your choice of sweetener to this recipe: agave, honey, pitted dates, etc. but both DH and I liked this just like it was, so we didn't mess with it.

Hope you enjoy as much as we did. YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment