Monday, March 15, 2010

A Dinner of My Own Making

That's always scary. At least in my house. But this time it turned out okay. DH had two helpings of the beany pasta dish, and DS chowed down on it, too!


My personal fav of the day were the seasoned brussel sprouts.


DH groaned when I bought them (yes, groaned out loud in a grocery store like a little boy!) but he freely admitted that he liked them once I cooked them up. He actually preferred them steamed without any seasonings like I made them the day before, but I preferred the seasoned ones.

So, here are the "recipes" I created:

Beany Pasta Sauce:
*can of organic black beans (undrained)
*2 chopped tomatoes
*roasted garlic (I used Just Roasted Garlic from Just Tomatoes)
*oregano
*basil
*Just Hot Vegetables (from Just Tomatoes, ordered through an online coop)
*Just Crunchy Onions (from Just Tomatoes, ordered through an online coop)
*taco seasoning

I heated the pasta sauce over low heat while I cooked a package of whole wheat penne pasta in a separate pot, stirring frequently. (Using beans that had been soaked and cooked would have been more economical, healthier, and more earth-friendly, but I am still working on being prepared ahead of time...)

Then I drained the pasta and ladled sauce onto the pasta on each person's plate. We topped it with freshly grated cheddar cheese purchased from the coop (a community owned grocery I just found out about).





Brussel Sprouts:
I had lightly steamed these the day before and used some of them in a recipe (that flopped, by the way), so for today's second chance, I cut them in half and put them into a skillet along with...
*a good drizzling of extra virgin olive oil
*curry powder
*rosemary
*paprika
*garlic powder

...and stirred them around until well-coated and heated through. Then I put them into our bowls and sprinkled with some freshly ground Himalayan pink salt. Tasty!



Sometimes my creations end up really yummy and sometimes they're just okay (read: awful!), but luckily both of these dishes turned out pretty well and were well-received. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment