Saturday, April 10, 2010

Swiss Chard Smoothie!

We visited two new Farmer's Markets in our area today and were stoked that we finally found local AND natural/organic produce! We came home with bags and bags of greens (spinach, swiss chard, beet greens, bok choy, lettuce, arugula), tomatoes, strawberries, green and sweet peppers, fresh baked bread, free range eggs, and even strawberry creamed honey! Yum!

When we got home, I proceeded to make our first Swiss Chard smoothie ever. I wasn't so sure after the first sip, but it quickly grew on me and by the end I would say I was maybe not loving it, but definitely heavily liking. DH went so far as to say it was delicious and that I needed to write down the "recipe."

So, here is what I put in my Blendtec blender, per DH's request:
*1-1/2 frozen bananas (you could use fresh)
*2 cored apples (peeled b/c they weren't organic)
*10-15 frozen blackberries (it was the amount we had left in a bag in the freezer)
*healthy dose of chia seeds
*Swiss Chard (probably 8-10 large leaves with stems)
*about 1/2 of an 11oz. tetrapack of coconut water (I used Zico brand)
*about 1 cup of water

I packed it all in and blended on the Whole Juice setting for one round. It made two full tall glasses with enough leftover for me to fill up my 2-year-old DS's Safe Sippy 2 straw cup. DS drank it all and asked for more! I've found he drinks "green" smoothies better when he can't see what color they are! I learned this after I discovered he was drinking the smoothies that came out a pretty pink or purplish color, but wouldn't touch the ones that were green or brownish, even if they weren't all that different in taste. In his Safe Sippy 2 straw cup, he drinks whatever smoothie I put in there because he can't see what it looks like! lol)

No comments:

Post a Comment