Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Frothy Hot Coconut Cacao for a Rainy Day!

I just so happened to stumble upon The Nourishing Gourmet's blog post for Rich, Dark Hot Cocoa (Dairy and Refined Sugar Free) today while the kids were napping. One look out my windows at the dreary sky was all it took to convince me I *needed* to make some and FAST!

I waited until my 2yo DS woke up so he could share the warm drink with me, then I gathered up my ingredients. Using TNG's post as a guide, here's how I made our Frothy Hot Coconut Cacao:

Step #1 -- Empty one can of organic coconut milk into the Blendtec blender jar. I used Roland brand, bought when on sale at Amazon.com. I used the full fat version.

Step #2 -- Add roughly 1/4 cup of organic raw cacao powder. I used the Navitas Naturals brand, from Amazon.com.

Step #3 -- Add roughly 2 cups of water. I used tap water. (Note to self: need to research water filters)

Step #4 -- Add honey (or other sweetener) to taste. I added 3 big squeezes from a honey bear jar of local raw honey my mom brought me back from a recent trip to Florida.

Step #5 -- Blend.

At first, I tried blending on level 1, then up'd it to level 5. It mixed fine but just wasn't warming the drink up the way I had hoped. Then I switched the setting to "Soup" and after one cycle it was nice and warm. If you wanted warmer, you could always do one more cycle, but for us, it was perfect. You could also warm this up in a pot on the stove if you wanted.

The best part about the drink was that it developed a nice froth on top that lasted all the way through to the last sip of...ahem...TWO mugfuls! The froth made the drink feel very "upscale coffee shop." :)

Overall, I'm super pleased with how it turned out. It was perfect because it warmed us up on a rainy day, and the coconut definitely felt springy! Mmmm... This definitely hit the spot!

No comments:

Post a Comment